online selling...


Here is Holland we have a local site called Marktplaats (=Market place). You advertise items for sale or services offered for free and it works really well. Only companies and dealers pay to advertise. Private users can pay extra to stay on top of the listing or to put their website in the ad.

It's fun as well because you meet the most varied people....

Like the lady who bought my imitation palm tree. I could not help asking what she was going to use it for (it had been in our bathroom) It was for her pet iguana. He ate real plants and she wanted the fake one in her living room so that he could climb it !



Some people are really nice : like the Turkish chap who came to pick up a free ceiling lamp (if stuff doesn't sell, I give it away) he was pleased with the lamp and gave me a totally unnecessary bar of chocolate :~)))


But others can be really picky, like the lady who had bid 5 euros for a rechargeable trimmer for box hedging. I showed her that it was in good working order, but she kept on about, "is it really OK and how long does a charge work for etc etc?" I felt like saying, "I'm not forcing you to buy it !" OR "what do you expect for 5 euros ?"

I've met English people who used to live near my aunt in Worthing, a 6ft 6 student who was so pleased to buy our huge old sofa to stretch out on, and a lovely couple who wanted all the plants removed from their garden, so I came away with masses of free plants and shrubs :~)))


No comments: