Hitchcocks nightmare

While dining on a friends top floor terrace, we were suddenly part of a magical event. Hundreds of rooks or jackdaws (I'm not to hot on bird names) in a swarm came flying over and nearly touched our heads! I wish I'd had my camera with me !!

It's amazing how they all fly really close together without hitting each other and how they all know just when to make a turn...


 This led me to look up this phenomenon in birds and fish. One big reason is that safety lies in numbers, they are less prone to be caught in a large group. It's also useful for feeding and exchanging information. 

Flocks are so prevalent in some bird species that these groups of birds have special names, such as a raft of ducks, a charm of finches, a horde of ravens or any other of the names for flocks of birds.


Watch some amazing video's of swarming birds HERE

Scientists are researching just how flocks work, 
but as yet don't seem to have a definite conclusion!

Maybe they just like to fly - like Johnathan Livingstone Seagull

No comments: