maneki neko


Our cat sitter was recently on holiday in China, and she bought me back a Maneki Neko.... It's a really naff golden plastic one but I love it :~))

They actually originate in Japan and are believed to bring good luck.
In the design of the sculptures, a raised left paw supposedly attracts money, while a raised right paw protects it.
To Westerners it may seem as if the Maneki Neko is waving rather than beckoning. This is due to the difference in gestures and body language recognized by Westerners and the Japanese, with Japanese beckoning by holding up the hand, palm out, and repeatedly folding the fingers down and back up, thus the cat's appearance.

Maneki Neko come in different colors, styles, and degrees of ornateness.



Click HERE for an explanation of what each colour means.


I'm going to China myself in September, so i bet i come back with a few more :~))

          招き猫

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, if my palm itched my mother would say it was a financial sign: left to leave, right to receive. As you have correctly deduced, my mother was occidental, which was why I never realized that geisha was beckoning, not waving me away. Oh well.