the first word that comes into your head...

I'd run out of items for the blog..... mostly I'm triggered by something someone says or an item I read.... but nothing special happened today.....so I just sat here at my computer waiting for a word to pop into my head - the word was seahorse ! No idea what sort of short circuit that was in the brain neurons :~)


These tiny ocean inhabitants come in 47 species, and are actually fish, though they don't swim very well. They vary in colour and blend in with the coral they attach themselves t.





The male seahorse is equipped with a brood pouch on the ventral, or front-facing, side. When mating, the female seahorse deposits up to 1,500 eggs in the male's pouch.
 

The male carries the eggs for anywhere from 9 to 45 days until they emerge, expelling fully developed, miniature seahorses in the water.
Once the seahorse babies are released into the water, the male's role is done and he offers no further care.





If you are thinking of starting a collection of these lovely creatures.....

can vary from $65 up to $950 !!



No comments: