retirement day 1

Here in Western Europe we tend to see retiring as a right not a privilege. We really don't appreciate how lucky we are. The idea was only introduced in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Wikipedia has a load of charts and statistics about various countries etc. For instance the first country to introduce retirement was Germany in the 1880s !

Before that, low life expectancy and the absence of pension arrangements meant that most workers continued to work until death.

The world average is low, but look at this map for different parts of the world

It's the same old story the Western world lives long and Africa comes of worst.

While searching the web I noticed that most information seems to be about how to plan for the financial side of retiring and hardly anything at all about the emotional side of not actually working anymore.... 

But I did find this nice quote:

I'm not just retiring from the company, I'm also retiring from my stress, my commute and my alarm clock.

No comments: